Monday, April 9, 2012

Hate Tuesday




Today I took an absence from work.

Last Friday, our manager talked to all of us and told us that after the holidays, NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO BE ABSENT.

unlucky me I caught the flu. My supervisor talked to me and told me that our manager was disappointed that I was absent. It kinda hurts that people get mad at you when you get sick or are too weak and not mentally prepared to go to work. It kinda sucks you know.

But after reading this, I felt much much better:

"I disagree. If I know it's a cold, and I know I'm contagious and not functioning at full capacity, I'm not going to come to work, but I'm definitely not going to go sit in a clinic and take up space in an already crowded and understaffed environment when I KNOW the doctor is just going to tell me to get rest, drink fluids, take some advil. I'm smart enough to do that on my own.
I'm pretty lucky where I work in that if I am legitimately sick, I can take as many days as needed until I'm well enough to come to work. I know that isn't the norm everywhere and I'm grateful for that. However, I think as responsible adults, we should be able to take off the amount of time we need to rest up and be at our best when we're working. Making people work through a flu or cold is ridiculous. I have to be at this job every day for 7.5 hours a day and if I can't be comfortable while I'm here that isn't healthy in itself. Not everyone is a workaholic and wants to push through a cold when 4 days could make a WORLD of difference."

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment